Answering one of my most common interior design questions..
Should I paint my trim white or not is a question I get so often. And the answer is always, well, it depends.. Deciding whether to paint your wood trim white or not can depend on various factors such as personal preferences, style of the room, and the condition of the trim. So without further ado, here are some key points to consider:
1. Personal preferences: Do you prefer the natural look of the wood trim or the clean, fresh look of white trim? It’s important to choose a color that you will be happy with in the long term.
2. Style of the room: Consider the overall style of the room and whether white trim would complement or clash with the decor. If you have a modern or minimalist style, white trim may be a good choice. If you have a more traditional or rustic style, natural wood trim may be a better fit. Not sure what your style is? We’ve created 10 boards highlighting 10 different interior design styles. Check that out here.
3. Condition of the trim: If the wood trim is in good condition, you may want to leave it natural to showcase the beauty of the wood.
4. If the trim is damaged, painting it white can be a cost-effective way to freshen it up and give it a new look. Always ensure to prep the trim before painting. We’ve all seen those terrible cover up paint jobs. Definitely not the look we’re going for 😉
5. Maintenance: White trim may show dirt and wear more easily than natural wood trim, so consider whether you’re willing to do the extra maintenance required to keep it looking clean.
Overall, there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to painting your wood trim white. It comes down to personal preference and what fits best with the style of your home. If you’re still unsure, you can always test a small area first to see how you like the look before committing to painting the entire trim.
Ready to work with an interior designer on your project?
We would be honored to support you in designing your dream home! Whether you’re updating one room or renovating your whole house, we’re here to help. Rebecca Cashmore Interiors is a Minnesota-based luxury interior design firm specializing in residential design, but we take projects across the country. To see our past work visit our portfolio page.
Ready to take the first step? Book your complimentary discovery call here.